Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Your Sonnet

AP English Literature
Your Turn: Sonnet
Your homework is to complete an ecphrastic sonnet. Please do the following:
1.       Go to this website and peruse the various art and photography :  http://www.sfmoma.org/pages/collection. You can also look here: http://www.metmuseum.org/collections 
2.       Choose a piece of art from those websites or from another reputable source. Please do not use images from cartoons or movies.
3.       Write an ecphrastic sonnet in response to the art. It can be a response to the art, or a poem inspired by the art, or a conversation with the art. Be creative!
a.       Please note: You can play with form and structure, as many poets do. Or you can adhere to the strict structure of a Shakespearean or Petrarchan sonnet. If you do the latter, please try to write it in Iambic Pentameter. For more information on iambic pentameter, go to http://iambicpentameter.net/
4.       Type the poem. On the same page, please include the image of the art.
Due Monday. 50 points.

2 comments:

  1. Ms. Scher, I was curious if I may use the character of Francis Dolarhyde in my sonnet. He is the serial killer in Thomas Harris' novel Red Dragon, and was completely obsessed with William Blake's Great Red Dragon painting (hence the title of the novel). I am using William Blake's series of paintings of The Great Red Dragon and Dolarhyde just sort of fits with what I'm writing. Can I use that as a story premise in my sonnet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Haley, that sounds like a great idea.

    ReplyDelete