Hi everyone,
I just read your feedback on the article you read in class today, regarding speaking in class. I want to thank you for your honesty and suggestions. I really appreciate them!
From your feedback, I heard the following:
1. More fishbowls, fewer Socratic Seminars
2. More time to talk before a discussion, to get your ideas ready
3. A graphic organizer or "idea sorter" to prepare
4. A few ungraded seminars
5. Cover the clock (I'll try to do this, but no promises)
6. A seminar that feels less serious and/or formal
7. Icebreakers
8. Candy :)
Starting on Monday, you will get new seats and we will do a "get to know your neighbors" activity. I'll continue to work on ways to integrate your ideas going forward. I hope that many of you will also live up to your goals of trying to talk more, get to know your classmates, and work on supporting each other, rather than competing with one another.
See you Monday.
Ms. Scher
Candy? As a reward for speaking or something?
ReplyDeleteOne student in our class responded to the last question (about what I could do as a teacher to help create a safe space for discussion) with a list of ideas, including "candy". Not sure what that meant, exactly, but I liked the sense of humor.
DeleteSo you won't be giving us candy when we speak? D:>
Delete