“Oedipus Rex”: Preparation for the
Timed Write
1.
Read and carefully annotate the prompt.
According to
critic Northrop Frye, "Tragic heroes are so much the highest points in
their human landscape that they seem the inevitable conductors of the power
above them, more likely to be struck by lightning than a clump of grass.
Conductors may of course be instruments as well as victims of the divine
lightning." Select a novel or play in which a tragic figure functions as
an instrument of the suffering of others. Then write an essay in which
you explain how the suffering brought upon others by that figure contributes to
the tragic vision of the work as a whole.
Directions:
Create an outline on a separate sheet of paper that covers all of the following
elements
Thesis statement
First body
paragraph
Topic sentence for
first body paragraph
One piece of evidence for this
body paragraph
How I plan to use this evidence
to prove the thesis/topic sentence
How I might integrate this
evidence and analysis (test it out in 1-2 sentences)
Second body
paragraph
Topic sentence for
second body paragraph
One piece of evidence for this
body paragraph
How I plan to use this evidence
to prove the thesis/topic sentence
How I might integrate this
evidence and analysis (test it out in 1-2 sentences)
Third body
paragraph
Topic sentence for
third body paragraph
One piece of evidence for this
body paragraph
How I plan to use this evidence
to prove the thesis/topic sentence
How
I might integrate this evidence and analysis (test it out in 1-2 sentences)
No comments:
Post a Comment